Whoa — summer’s here! How’d that happen?
My girls need new skirts, and they need them now!
Seems that Lulu’s new rule of fashion is to wear only skirts and t-shirts with pictures of animals on them. And since Kiki was not in a skirt phase when she was three, there aren’t many hand me downs to be had — of skirts, that is. Lulu’s closet is bursting with handmade dresses worn and loved by her older sister two short years ago which remain untouched. Such is life.
And Kiki has grown out of almost everything. You know how it is.
A big packet of fabric arrived from Joann’s last week, after I took advantage of a certain 50% off sale. Inside were several very cute prints from the Tutti Frutti embossed line. Despite the cuteness of the prints, I never wanted to try these out in the past because they aren’t 100% cotton. Yes, there is polyester in there. Why does this matter? Elitism? Snobbishness? I must sheepishly admit that both these are probably applicable here. But, since they were on such a good sale, I figured the time had come to try them out.
All I can say is that these fabrics are awesome, and they do not wrinkle. Not a bit. Cram them into the drawer, leave them in the drier indefinitely — no matter. They look flawless at all times! And, they are seer sucker. OMG. To think of what I’ve been missing!
Both girls saw these fabrics and demanded skirts, stat. So, I did what any busy sewing mama would do, and I whipped up a couple of Oliver & S Lazy Days Skirts. They each took about 45 minutes to make, including cutting. No joke. Once you have the hang of it, you can crank these babies out in no time.
(In case you’re new to sewing for kids, or you’ve been spending all your time on a desert island, the Lazy Days Skirt is a free pattern. Oh yeah.)
Since the pattern calls for cutting a rectangle selvage to selvage, these skirts end up being fairly full — which is most certainly a good thing. Lots of “spreading around” while twirling, which is an essential element in a skirt for Lulu.
One yard makes two of these skirts with a little leftover. Fab.
The only change I made to the pattern was to topstitch around the top of the elastic casing, as close to the top as possible, to help keep the elastic from twisting. I read about doing that on the O&S blog somewhere, long ago. It’s a good trick, and keeps that elastic in check. The casing gets a little tight, so you have to use some elbow grease to feed the elastic through, but I think that’s what makes it work.
Oh, I also omitted the ribbon hem — only because I didn’t have enough ribbon handy. I just folded up 1/4″ twice and stitched.
One caution — if you use seer sucker, go easy on the pressing at the hem. I pressed out the puckers a bit, but they seem to be coming back with washing.
I cannot get these out of the drier fast enough for my girls. They want to wear them just about every day.
Here’s an action shot from the neighborhood lemonade stand . . .
I guess I’ll just have to make some more 🙂