It’s already Kids Clothes Week again! I can’t believe it! I’ve been sewing up a storm this time around and am coming up for air just long enough to show you what I’ve been up to . . .
Kiki has been asking for a dress with a “neck thing” — which can be translated as a halter dress. I poked around the internet a bit looking for a pattern, and I came across the Lucy Dress by Compagnie M. I’m pretty familiar with Compagnie M and have made a Louisa Dress or two, but somehow missed this little treasure — until now.
It’s as simple as can be — just a tube with straps and shirring at the top. Marte from Compagnie M gives lots of great tips on shirring (sewing with elastic thread in your bobbin, creating a stretchy “smocking” look) with instructions and photos using several different brands of sewing machine — how great! I’ve shirred a time or two, but still found the tips helpful. One of her best bits of advice is to be sure to use high quality elastic thread. I had been using Dritz on other shirring projects, but I decided to heed her advice and ordered some Gutermann thread. What a difference! Totally worth it.
The pattern has several strap options — there are regular shoulder straps, tied shoulder straps and tied halter straps. Each is so cute in its own way. You can choose dress or top length. There is also an optional faux button placket. Whew — so many options! This little pattern is so quick to sew up (and so beloved by Kiki), I think I’ll whip of several more, trying out some of these other fun options.
For this dress, I decided to sew only 5 lines of shirring. The pattern shows examples of tops and dresses with 10 lines of shirring, which really just means a longer bodice. I’ll try that next time.
This fabric is some very light weight voile I picked up at the local fabric store last summer on sale. When I was pressing it, I realized it’s a little on the sheer side, but since Kiki usually wear shorts under her dresses nowadays anyway, it doesn’t matter much. And, the light weight of the fabric really works nicely with the shirring.
I added these funky green buttons just for fun — they aren’t at all functional. But I think they add a certain something that gives this dress great personality.
Ok — that’s project #1 . . . now, on to project #2 . . .