Fall sewing for Kiki is still happening around here, and she now has two more new dresses for kindergarten. These are both the “Pinafore r” pattern from the Japanese sewing book Happy Homemade Sew Chic Kids, and they’re both made in Small World Corduroy from Made by Rae.
Anyway, this is my first time making this pattern (although I have made tons of other things from this amazing book), and it’s pretty great. I was inspired to give it a try after seeing this gorgeous version in corduroy from Behind the Hedgerow. Laura has such an amazing sense of style, and I couldn’t help but follow her lead on this one.
For Kiki, I sewed up a size 4 with 2 inches of added length.
I did learn a couple of things after finishing the first one, which happened to be the clementine version. (You may notice that we went from summer to fall between these two photo shoots!!) I was so excited to see this clementine pinafore on Kiki as soon as it came off the machine — but when she put it on, it just didn’t look right. The front yoke and straps seemed very floppy and gapey, and the fit looked totally off. Crap!
I took a long look at the problem, and it occurred to me that a little interfacing just might do the trick. I had enough fabric leftover to cut a new front yoke, and I ironed the interfacing onto the front piece. The difference was so huge, that I decided to go ahead and redo the back yoke and straps, adding interfacing to those as well. Magically, the fit was just right 🙂
If you’re thinking of sewing up one of these pinafores, I highly recommend adding in that interfacing to the front yoke and the back yoke & straps.
The other thing that I did the second time around was to add side seam pockets. I grabbed the pocket pattern pieces from the Oliver+S Playtime Dress that was on my cutting table and stuck them in, no problem. I stitched the entire edge of the pocket bag onto the front of the dress, as I’ve done before — and Kiki approves.