Fall sewing for Kiki continues over here with a new Mara Dress from Compagnie M. This pattern is really for a top (which I have made before), but there are instructions included in the pattern for extending the length to make a very chic dress.
This particular dress was inspired by Beyond the Hedgerow’s very lovely spring dress version of the Mara.
I’m a sucker for the piping/pin tuck combo.
The main mustard fabric is a buttery soft sheet that I found at the thrift store for about $3! The piping and pocket fabric is a scrap leftover from this Oliver + S Class Picnic Top I made for Lulu a couple of years ago — it’s from Joann. You see, hoarding scraps is a virtue 🙂
To be sure I got the shape right, I laid my O+S Rollerskate Dress pattern pieces over the Mara front and back pattern pieces to trace the shape and the length of the dress — as I did with Kiki’s O+S Swingset Dress I made this past summer.
The pockets are taken from the O+S Puppet Show Shorts pattern. When I made these shorts last summer, I was sure I’d be putting these pockets on everything. This seemed to the the right moment to get started.
The other tweak I made to the pattern was to used binding for the cuffs — a little trick I learned in making an as of yet unblogged Ottobre Dress. The cuffs are gathered to fit the binding, and I just top stitched over the whole thing. I think it’s more comfortable than elastic casing (which is suggested in the pattern instructions), and looks a little more professional.