Both of my daughters are in full Disney Princess mode (sigh), and we will have one Jasmine and one Ariel or Rapunzel (final decision TBD). I have come to accept that when it comes to the Disney Princess, my girls would much rather have a blingy (and rather grotesque if you ask me) costume from Toys r Us, complete with wig and plastic shoes — so I didn’t even bother. The good news is that we waited until last week to buy them, and they were 50% off (silver lining). And, they love them so much that they are all worn several times a day. I mean, the whole costume thing is for them after all, so they should have the costume they want, right?
So imagine my delight when a good friend and neighbor asked me if I would sew up a Red Riding Hood for her six year old’s Halloween costume. Hooray!! And to make it even better, her three year old little sister is going to be the wolf!! (I’m trying hard not to be jealous.) Of course, I was more than pleased to oblige.
Now that I think about it, my sewing obsession really started with this book. Before the mania set in, I was clicking around looking for ideas for a doll carrier for Kiki, who must have been around two at the time. I came across the doll carrier pattern in this book and got a copy. I mean, why not try to sew one myself in a fabulous fabric? The resulting doll carrier never really caught on with Kiki, but I loved the book so much that I started looking into Oliver + S patterns, and the rest is history.
Anyway, my friend chose Robert Kaufman 21 wale corduroy for the outside, and we found this amazing Red Riding Hood cotton print for the lining.
We could only find 1 3/4 yards of the lining fabric left at Hart’s (it’s sold out now, but I just found more on Etsy), and the pattern calls for 2 yards (for size 5-10, less for the smaller size). But with some creative finagling, I managed to squeeze all the pattern pieces out of it, even after cutting a couple of pieces backwards and having to recut! There is some selvage in the seam allowances here — please don’t tell 🙂
This pattern has lots of pieces to sew together — eleven altogether, including the button loop. So it’s a little more time intensive that I imagined it might be. But the result is a very lovely cape that fits beautifully over the shoulders and has these wonderful slits for little arms to come through so that your little Red can stay warmer out in the woods when she needs to use her hands for goody distribution and such.