Is it me, or is there something about kids in aprons that just feels right? I can’t explain it, but it’s true.
I’ve been wanting to make my girls Bias Trimmed Aprons from the Oliver + S book Little Things to Sew for ages. Kids Clothes Week, which wraps up today, was just the thing to make me deliver.
I knew that there was a high likelihood that the aprons would go into heavy rotation right away, as Kiki and Lulu both love to play “Villagers” all the time — which is a game that came from an idea planted by Sofia the First. (If you have a kid in your life who’s in the preschool/kindergarten set, you may know that Sofia starts out as a “girl in the village doin’ alright and became a princess overnight . . . now gotta figure out how to do it right . . . you know the rest. So it follows that we must play Villagers.) As everyone knows, Villagers wear aprons. Kiki and Lulu have been making do with the cooking sort that came with their play kitchen. But these aprons . . . these are authentic Villager all the way!!!!
True to form, Lulu was mostly unimpressed. But Kiki — Kiki loves her apron more than words can say. So far, she’s worn it to school, swimming lessons, out to lunch and to a birthday party, all within the two days that she’s had it. It’s enough to bring a tear to the eye of a sewing mama.
I’ve been trying to be a good citizen and sew exclusively from my stash for a while. We recently put carpet in our basement, where my sewing set-up is, which precipitated a big reorganization of the fabric stash and a shocking realization of just how much I’ve accumulated over the past few years. Both of these aprons came from that stash.
Lulu’s apron is made from fabric leftover from crib sheets, bedspreads, quilts and curtains for Kiki’s bedroom. I bought tons of extra just in case, and am now trying to find ways of using it. It’s from the Meadowsweet line by Sandi Henderson for Michael Miller. It’s from a bunch of years ago and might still be found on Etsy — but it’s mostly gone by now. Despite seeing it everyday in Kiki’s room for the past five (almost six), I still just love it!!!
Both girls got mediums — meant for ages 3-6. Somehow, it fits them both just fine!
Kiki’s apron is made from fabric that I saw online somewhere as someone’s Geranium Dress a year or so ago. I hunted it down and bought a couple of yards and haven’t used it until now. The selvage tells me that it’s Tiny Leaf Garland from Adorn It. I think it’s just perfect for this project — and happily, I have plenty leftover for something else. Since the print is non-directional, I was able to squeak this apron out of very little fabric.
The pockets are Robert Kaufman Chambray.
About the pattern . . . it’s very simple to put together. But I’m not going to lie. It’s a shit load of bias tape, people. If you’re not a fan of applying bias tape, this isn’t the apron for you. But I kind of like it in a twisted sort of way, so it was fun for me 🙂
True confession — when it comes to double fold bias binding, I’ve recently gotten into the nasty habit of just sandwiching it over the raw edge and sewing it once, instead of unfolding the bias tape and sewing raw edges together on the wrong side, flipping it over, and topstitching. This is an evil shortcut. I tried it with apron #1, which happened to be Kiki’s.
It didn’t end up looking as professional as I had hoped. The stitching is kind of uneven, and I had to go back and restitch places where the tape had slid off. Not cool. A light bulb went off in my thick skull and I wondered if applying the bias tape in the correct way would solve these issues.
The plus side of sewing two versions of the same pattern is that you get a do over right away. So for Lulu’s apron, I went all out and sewed the bias tape with the proper two step method. Low and behold, it came out so much better. And wouldn’t you know, in the end it took less time. Lesson learned.
Just so you know, I used store bought red 1/4″ double fold bias tape for Kiki’s apron (which was fine), but made my own bias tape with my always awesome Clover bias tape maker for Lulu’s to match the orange butterflies exactly. If you don’t have one of these handy tools, get one!
I also ended up getting a Dritz Easy Attacher Kit to help with applying the snaps, as I’ve had trouble with this in the past. I was looking for the Snap Setter, which is recommended by Oliver + S, but only found the Dritz version at Joann’s and decided to take a chance (since it was Kids Clothes Week and I didn’t want to wait for shipping). It was definitely worth the $7 it cost and made hammering on those snaps a breeze.
If your kid is up for a good game of Villager, you’d best get cracking on one of these aprons!