Of course, I immediately started looking for just the right dress pattern to use as a vehicle for these pockets. My first idea was to use the Geranium Dress with 3/4 sleeves from 5&10 Designs Volume One. I cut the Geranium bodice in a 4T, adjusting the arm scythe to accommodate the 5&10 sleeve, as I did when I made this Geranium for Lulu with the sleeve from the Hattie Dress pattern.
After sewing up the bodice and sleeves, I thankfully thought to try it on Kiki before sewing up the skirt. Turns out the whole thing was really too small and too tight. Drat. But honestly, I wasn’t loving the way the 5&10 sleeve is constructed — the sleeve is lined right along with the bodice and is sewn together in a pretty clever way, but you can’t really press the seams open (or at least I couldn’t), and it just didn’t feel right.
So, I wasted no time on tears or regret and formulated a Plan B. After remembering Rae’s post about adding a sleeve to the Geranium a while back, I decided to unearth my Charlie Tunic pattern and use that sleeve. As Rae suggests, I just gathered the cap of the sleeve to fit the Geranium arm scythe, and it worked really well!
If I were a good person, I’d cut a couple inches off the sleeve length. But I’ll be honest with you, once something is done, I’m pretty loathe to go back in there and change things up. Let’s just say that I’ve left some growing room in here, and that next fall these sleeves will be a perfect 3/4 length.
I’m so used to sizing down in the bodice for the slim Kiki (who is now almost 5 and a half), that I was surprised to learn that she needs a 5T now. That’s the thing about kids — they just keep growing and changing up their proportions on you. Do you think they do it on purpose, just to keep us on our toes?
After some discussion with my husband, who happened to be in the basement near my “sewing studio” (ie, corner of the basement in between piles of junk) when it was time to choose buttons, we decided on little red, round buttons that resemble berries. But when I finished the button holes, I realized that I had made them too small to accommodate the spherical shape of the berry buttons, and they were just too tight. I hate it when I screw up button hole sizes!!! Luckily, I came up with a smaller, flatter alternative from my stash that still fits in with the autumnal theme of the dress.
These pockets are very easy to put together, and there is a free pattern and tutorial from Jess right here. There’s interfacing in the top section of the acorn to prevent any flopping, and the size is just right for little hands. Hooray! I’ll just have to remember to check these pockets for real acorns before tossing this dress in the wash 🙂